The Fines and Fees Justice Center’s New York state campaign is the first sustained effort to reform harmful fines and fees practices statewide. Our goal is to abolish fees in the justice system and to ensure that fines are equitably imposed and enforced.
The Deputy Director will advance and grow support for FFJC’s New York campaign and contribute to strategy development and leadership. Under the direction of the New York State Director, the Deputy Director will develop relationships with other organizations, state and local legislators, justice-system stakeholders, the faith community, and the business community.
The location of this position is flexible within Central New York and the Hudson Valley (Albany preferred).
- Support FFJC’s New York State Director and New York campaign
- Independently research, synthesize and maintain technical, academic, and court data
- Strengthen and grow coalitions and foster alliances with organizations
- Support local community leaders in advocating for fines and fees reform
- Organize lobbying and educational activities, including trainings
- Identify and provide campaign access to people harmed by fines and fees
- Help to develop and implement a communications strategy and materials
- Monitor relevant legislative activity and report findings
- College degree or relevant work experience
- Two years of experience in community organizing or direct service (Reentry, legal aid, grassroots organizing, or criminal defense settings preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse people
- Experience in group facilitation, coalition-building, and leadership
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about racial, social, and economic justice and criminal justice reform
- Commitment to racial, social, and economic justice
- Commitment to develop as a leader in response to feedback and mentoring
- Spanish language ability is a plus
- Knowledge of New York State legislative process is a plus
- Experience with media relations is a plus
- Criminal justice reform issue advocacy experience is a plus
- Independent, proactive, and driven
- Responsive, creative, and flexible
- Excellent professional judgment, priority-setting, and time management
- Ability to write professionally with minimal editing
- Ability to effectively seek support when needed
- Willingness to travel and work occasional nights and weekends
- Sense of humor
People with personal experience with the impacts of the justice system are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position, and a professional writing sample to: Katie Adamides, New York State Director, Fines and Fees Justice Center Kadamides@
New Venture Fund Careers: Fines & Fees Justice Center is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.