The Fines & Fees Justice Center (FFJC) is a national center for advocacy, policy, information, and collaboration on effective solutions to the unjust and harmful imposition and enforcement of fines and fees in the criminal legal justice system. FFJC’s mission is to end abusive collection practices, eliminate fees in the criminal legal justice system, and make fines proportional to the offense and the individual. FFJC works with impacted communities, advocates, and justice system stakeholders to create an equitably-funded justice system that treats individuals fairly and ensures public safety.
Nevada Deputy Director
The Deputy Director will be responsible for advancing campaigns and growing support for FFJC’s reform efforts in Nevada. Under the direction of the Nevada State Director, the Deputy Director will develop relationships with other organizations, particularly community-based organizations; impacted individuals; state and local legislators and policy makers; justice-system stakeholders, including prosecutors, public defenders, court clerks, law enforcement and judges; the faith community; and the business community. The Deputy Director will contribute to strategy development and leadership commensurate with their experience level.
Nevada, Northern Nevada preferred
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Organize, mobilize, and support local community leaders in advocating for fines and fees reform
- Strengthen and grow coalitions and foster alliances with organizations and community groups to advance policy campaigns
- Organize lobbying activities, including trainings for supporters
- Conduct action research, including public record requests, and write materials and reports
- Identify, interview and maintain relationships with impacted individuals
- Organize events to educate on fines and fees reform issues
- Help develop policy reform strategy
- Monitor and help prepare for legislative committee hearings
- College degree or relevant work experience
- Three years of experience in community organizing or policy advocacy
- Excellent research, writing, and public speaking skills
- Ability to work with diverse communities
- Excellent group facilitation, coalition-building, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about criminal justice reform
- Sense of humor
- Commitment to develop as a leader in response to feedback and mentoring
- Spanish language ability is a plus
- Knowledge of Nevada state legislative process is a plus
- Criminal justice reform issue advocacy experience is a plus
- Those who have been personally impacted by the criminal legal system are encouraged to apply
$65,000 – $75,000 with a generous vacation and leave policy, and health, dental, and vision insurance, and transportation benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter (as attachments) explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position to: Rachele Grieco Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org
New Venture Fund Careers
The Fines & Fees Justice Center is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant- making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which they are working.