The Fines and Fees Justice Center (FFJC) is a national center for advocacy, policy, information, and collaboration on effective solutions to the unjust and harmful imposition and enforcement of fines and fees in the criminal justice system. FFJC’s mission is to end abusive collection practices, eliminate fees in the criminal justice system, and make fines proportional to the offense and the individual. FFJC works with impacted communities, advocates, and justice system stakeholders to create an equitably-funded justice system that treats individuals fairly and ensures public safety.
Flexible within Florida; Tallahassee or South Florida preferred
Florida State Director
The Deputy Director will be responsible for advancing campaigns and growing support for FFJC’s reform efforts in Florida. Under the direction of the Florida State Director, the Deputy Director will develop relationships with other organizations, particularly community-based organizations; as well as state and local legislators; justice-system stakeholders, including prosecutors, public defenders, court clerks, law enforcement and judges; the faith community; and the business community. The Deputy Director will contribute to strategy development and leadership.
- Conduct research on fines and fees issues, including the analysis of public records and reports
- Support local community leaders in advocating for fines and fees reform
- Strengthen and grow coalitions and foster alliances with organizations and community groups to advance policy campaigns
- Organize lobbying activities, including trainings for constituents
- Help to develop and implement communications strategy and materials
- Organize events to educate on fines and fees reform issues
- Help develop policy reform strategy
- Monitor and help prepare for legislative committee hearings
- Respond to communications from directly impacted individuals
- Facilitate narrative development of experiences of directly impacted individuals
- College degree or relevant work experience
- Two years of experience in community organizing and/or policy advocacy
- Demonstrated ability to work with impacted individuals and community leaders
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity
- Demonstrated ability to work independently/remotely
- Excellent group facilitation, coalition-building, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about criminal justice reform
- Commitment to develop as a leader in response to feedback and mentoring
- Spanish language ability is a plus
- Knowledge of Florida legislative process is a plus
- Criminal justice reform issue advocacy experience is a plus
- Organized, diligent, proactive, and detail-oriented
- Passionate about criminal justice reform
- Flexible and adaptable
- Excellent time management skills
- Willingness to travel throughout Florida and occasionally to DC or NYC
- Willingness to work occasional nights and weekends
- Sense of humor
- Those personally impacted by the justice system are encouraged to apply
Salary Range: $65,000 – $75,000, with a generous vacation & leave policy, health, dental & vision insurance, and other benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter (as attachments) demonstrating your interest in and qualifications for the position to Rachele Grieco Cole at email@example.com.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Fines and Fees Justice Center is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.