This bill eliminates a number of fines and court related fees for juveniles.
- Eliminates a number of fines and court related fees for juveniles including:
- Application fee for court appointed counsel
- Requirement that a non indigent parent or legal guardian furnish the legal services and costs incident to a delinquency proceeding or criminal prosecution
- Fines and court costs for conviction of an offense other than a capital felony, in addition to any penalty
- Additional court costs for felonies, misdemeanors, and criminal traffic offenses
- Costs for crime stoppers programs
- Costs to fund programs in domestic violence
- Costs to fund rape crisis centers
- Costs for criminal justice education for local government
- Costs for assistance grants for alcohol and other drug abuse programs
- Costs of prosecution and investigation
- Processing fee for an application to expunge criminal record
- Supervision costs
- Costs of diversion services
- Costs of civil citation or similar pre arrest diversion programs
- The balance of any unpaid court ordered costs imposed against a child or the child’s parent or legal guardian are unenforceable and uncollectible, and the judgement imposing those costs is vacated and discharged.
- All warrants issued solely based on the alleged failure of a child to pay or to appear on a court date for the purpose of payment of costs, fees, reimbursements or other financial obligations are null and void.
You can read the full bill and the companion bill here and here.
Primary sponsor(s): Rep. Tracie Davis
Bill number: HB 1391
Name of Bill (as introduced): Elimination of Fines and Court-related Fees for Juveniles