This bill eliminates a number of fines and court related fees for juveniles.
- Eliminates a number of fines and court related fees for juveniles including:
- Application fee for court appointed counsel
- Requirement that a non indigent parent or legal guardian furnish the legal services and costs incident to a delinquency proceeding or criminal prosecution
- Fines and court costs for conviction of an offense other than a capital felony, in addition to any penalty
- Additional court costs for felonies, misdemeanors, and criminal traffic offenses
- Costs for crime stoppers programs
- Costs to fund programs in domestic violence
- Costs to fund rape crisis centers
- Costs for criminal justice education for local government
- Costs for assistance grants for alcohol and other drug abuse programs
- Costs of prosecution and investigation
- Processing fee for an application to expunge criminal record
- Supervision costs
- Costs of diversion services
- Costs of civil citation or similar pre arrest diversion programs
- The balance of any unpaid court ordered costs imposed against a child or the child’s parent or legal guardian are unenforceable and uncollectible, and the judgement imposing those costs is vacated and discharged.
- All warrants issued solely based on the alleged failure of a child to pay or to appear on a court date for the purpose of payment of costs, fees, reimbursements or other financial obligations are null and void.
Primary sponsor(s): Rep. Tracie Davis
Bill number: HB 1391
Name of Bill (as introduced): Elimination of Fines and Court-related Fees for Juveniles