This bill repeals the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration’s authority to suspend a driver’s license and vehicle registration for unpaid traffic fines. The bill does not end driver’s license suspensions for unpaid criminal fines.
You can read the full text of the bill here.
- Authorizes the court to approve an installment plan agreement for the payment of citations or fines imposed at a hearing or trial.
- Allows defendants to establish a payment plan if the amount of their fines are $150 or more. (Previously, the amount due had to be at least $300).
- Eliminates monthly minimum payments. (Previously, the monthly minimum was 10% of the total amount due).
- Allows an individual to comply with a notice to appear on a traffic citation by entering into a payment plan.
- Permits the court to refer outstanding traffic fines to the Central Collection Unit or process the outstanding fine as it would other outstanding fines owed to the court.