The Maryland Criminal Justice Debt Elimination and Prevention Act of 2021 eliminates a number of criminal justice fines and fees.
- The bill would eliminate the following fees:
- Court-related fees (administrative, jury, and restitution)
- Home detention
- Parole and probation
- Public defender representation (application and reimbursement)
- Jail room and board
- Mandatory drug and alcohol testing
- Vehicle Interlock devices
- Criminal record expungement
- Interest and late fees from the Central Collections Unit (CCU)
You can read the full text of the bill here.
Primary sponsor(s): Senator Jill Carter
Bill number: SB 898
Name of Bill (as introduced): Maryland Criminal Justice Debt Elimination and Prevention Act of 2021